February 3, 2022: NATO, Russia troops, Erdogan, Ukraine, Biden in NYC, Winter Olympics, Mississippi
February 3, 2022: NATO, Russia 30,000 troops, Erdogan visits Ukraine, Biden in NYC, Winter Olympics, Mississippi.
1. NATO said Russia had stepped up deployments to Ukraine’s northern neighbor Belarus in recent days and was expected to have 30,000 troops there for joint military exercises this month.
2. President Tayyip Erdogan will discuss tensions between Ukraine and Russia with his counterpart Volodymyr Zelenskiy in Kyiv, after pitching Turkey as a mediator, and an official said he was not picking any sides in the crisis.
3. U.S. President Joe Biden will travel to New York City to highlight his administration’s efforts to curb gun violence and project a united front with Mayor Eric Adams after a series of violent crimes that has rattled the city.
4. A bartender in the Chinese ski resort of Zhangjiakou wears a blue and white hazmat suit as he pours a cocktail, before passing the drink to a similarly attired waiter who shuffles across the room in blue plastic booties to deliver the drink.
5. Mississippi joined 36 other U.S. states in legalizing marijuana for medical use, as the governor signed legislation permitting cannabis for treatment of severe, debilitating health conditions such as cancer, AIDS and Alzheimer’s disease.