U.S. official tells CBS News attack on Saudi oil facility was approved by Iran’s supreme leader
President Trump announced on Wednesday that he will issue substantial sanctions against Iran in response to the attacks on a Saudi oil facility last weekend.
In Riyadh, Saudi officials presented wreckage from drones that they said proves the attack was “unquestionably sponsored by Iran.” Iran says it wasn’t involved, but CBS News national security correspondent David Martin spoke to a U.S. official who said the attack was approved by Iran’s supreme leader.
How has the United States responded to the revelation of Iran’s possible involvement in the attack?
In a recent development, an unnamed U.S. official has informed CBS News that the attack on a Saudi oil facility last year was approved by Iran’s supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.
The attack, which occurred in September 2019, was carried out on the Abqaiq oil processing facility and the Khurais oil field in Saudi Arabia. The incident resulted in a devastating blow to the Saudi Arabian oil industry, as it caused significant damage to the facilities and caused a temporary loss of production.
Since the attack, the United States has accused Iran of being responsible for the incident. Iranian officials, on the other hand, have denied any involvement in the attack, with some officials even going so far as to claim that the attack was carried out by Yemeni rebels.
However, according to the unnamed U.S. official, there is evidence to suggest that Iran’s supreme leader had approved the attack. While the official did not provide any specific evidence or details to support this claim, they did note that the United States had access to a significant amount of intelligence and technical data related to the incident.
The revelation of Iran’s involvement in the attack highlights the ongoing tensions between the United States and Iran, which have been at odds for several years over issues such as Iran’s nuclear program and its involvement in regional conflicts.
The U.S. official’s statement is likely to escalate tensions between the two nations, and may ultimately lead to further military action or diplomatic efforts to address the issue.
It is important to note that the U.S. government has not officially confirmed Iran’s involvement in the attack, and that the official’s statement represents a single source of information on the matter. As such, it is important to continue monitoring developments related to the incident and to await further information and official statements from relevant authorities.
Overall, the news that Iran’s supreme leader may have approved the attack on the Saudi oil facility is a significant development that underscores the ongoing tensions between the United States and Iran, and highlights the need for continued diplomatic efforts to address these issues.